To sing like Oasis, think accent and phrasing. Liam Gallagher is a very distinctive singer. If you have watched Oasis on stage at any time, you’ll notice that he holds himself in a particular way, with the microphone perched just above his mouth. This means he is often singing upwards towards the microphone. If you want to sing like Oasis Liam Gallagher, you might start by copying his attitude to singing. Remember also that he is very influenced by John Lennon’s singing.
The two other aspects that always hit you are that he has a strong Manchester accent which transpires in his singing and he is quite nasal. In many ways, I get the impression that he is trying not to be overly emotional when singing, preferring to sing straight.
These are elements that you will have to practice to find the right balance between accent and emotional impact. Learning to imitate accents and particular stylistic colours is always a good exercise for singers. Bear in mind also that Gallagher likes to force his voice occasionally. Be very careful with this. Breaking your voice will not help you sing. So try and capture the intensity without suffering.
Two other things you’ll see in the video above, is that he also very “plosive” and also sings with very little vibrato. Check it out.
To sing like Oasis, sing like your life depends on it
Oasis’ Liam Gallagher is quite an intense performer. Obviously, you’ll want to grab some of that. But let’s not forget the essentials:
- Always stand up when you sing – as that is how you will sing in concert
- Look straight ahead when you are singing, if necessary in front of a mirror. This way you can see that you are maintaining the right posture
- Keep your body relaxed. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Ideally, you should also respect your body by sleeping sufficiently
- Sing in a quiet place where you won’t get distracted. Turn off your phone so as to concentrate on your singing. You have to be able to listen to what is happening with your voice when you change something, and adjust if necessary
- Think about the note you want to sing and visualize yourself singing it. Take your time and don’t get discouraged if you fail
- Get yourself in the mood by listening to some Oasis or John Lennon songs. This will help you visualize the notes and the way Liam Gallagher portrays them. Don’t practice high notes if you’re not feeling up to it. Do another song instead and come to back to practice when you’re ready (for more about this, see how to sing high notes).
I know there are examples of people that do none of all this. But if you want any sort of longevity in your voice, I really recommend that you treat it like your life depended on it. We always suggest finding a good coach. But you can start with some more basic lessons before going to vocal coaching from any of the great coaches out there.
One reply on “How to sing like Oasis”
Fantastic thanks lovely this will help me all